DIY: Paint like a pro
Before you rush to don your overalls and reach for the rollers, make sure you check out these handy application and painting tips from the experts at Dulux, which will help ensure you achieve a beautiful, long-lasting and professional paint finish that’ll save you time and money in the long run.
- It's all in the prep - fill in any cracks and holes, sand all flaking paint completely off and give everything a thorough wash with Selleys Sugar Soap to remove dirt build-up and dust, before rinsing with warm water.
- Weather watch - weather greatly affects the way your paint dries and its performance. Try to avoid painting when it’s an excessively hot or humid day or a particularly chilly one.
- First stop - paint doors and windowsills early in the day so that they'll be ready to close come nightfall.
- Masking - You’ll paint faster and achieve a cleaner result if you mask first. Remember to remove masking tape before the paint is completely dry as removal later can lift and break the dry paint leaving a cracked and jagged edge.
- From the top, down - paint away from the light source so you’re not painting in shadow and always paint the ceiling first. It’s easy to flick specks of paint onto the walls, which you want to avoid if they’ve been freshly painted.
- Choose the right paint for the job - In spaces where moisture resistance and washability are key – like bathrooms, kitchens and laundries – opt for a specialist paint such as Dulux Wash & Wear Kitchen & Bathroom, which provides an incredibly durable, acrylic finish with the added benefit of containing anti-bacterial and anti-mould technology.
Click here to download Dulux's full Paint like a Pro tips
Click here to learn more about Dulux's kitchen suitable paint offer